Artificial insemination (AI) is the process of placing semen into the uterus of a mare at the time of ovulation using instruments designed for this purpose. Mares can be artificially inseminated using fresh, chilled or frozen semen.
AI offers a number of potential advantages including:
- Decreased chance of injury to the stallion, mare and handlers.
- Prevents the spread of sexually transmitted diseases like Equine Herpes Virus and also other diseases which are spread by close contact.
- Semen can be collected from stallions with injuries or other issues which prevent them from serving mares naturally.
- Mares with injuries or other problems can be managed and bred safely and more effectively.
- Mares and/or stallions do not need to travel and be left on site for long periods. Every year we see mares returning from long stints on far away properties in very poor condition, injured and not pregnant.
Being located close to the Pacific Highway means that we can receive semen from practically anywhere in Australia within 24 hours of collection making AI a saver of time, money and major hassles.
If you are considering AI for your mare call one of our clinics and have a chat to one of our equine vets who will talk you through the process and costs.