Rat Bait Poisoning

In our region rodents tend to move into our sheds and houses when it becomes cold or wet. 

With this sudden influx of rodents many people choose to eradicate these rodents with rat bait. Unfortunately mice and rats aren’t the only creatures tempted by these scented 'treats'. Many of these baits are appealing to cats and dogs, and like  mice they become affected by the poison and can die.

What if you suspect poisoning

If you see your dog or cat eating rat bait or believe they have recently ingested rat bait bring them into the clinic immediately! If they are seen by a vet within an hour of ingestion we may be able to make them vomit up the ingested substance before it is absorbed.

Bring the bait container with you if possible, or at least details of the type of bait. This helps our vets determine the appropriate treatment.  As there are many baits on the market it is very difficult to establish the poison type from a verbal description.

How does it affect your pet?

There are a few different poisons used for rat bait, the most common poison used causes your pet's blood to stop coagulating. This means they can bleed to death.

What signs will your pet show if affected by rat bait?

It usually takes approximately 1-3 days from time of ingestion until clinical signs will begin to be seen in your pet.  These signs include:

  • struggling to breath
  • weakness
  • collapse
  • white gums
  • swellings on body
  • bleeding from nose
  • lameness

If your pet is displaying any of these symptoms and you know they have been around rat bait, bring them into the clinic immediately.  If we see your pet soon enough we can treat your pet with Vitamin K which assists their blood to clot again.